Old Salem

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Bowie County

Old Salem is a small rural community located near the junction of Interstate 30 and Farm Road 1840 about five miles southwest of New Boston and twenty-six miles west of Texarkana in west central Bowie County. The area (also called Salem) was probably settled by farmers during the second half of the 1800s. The oldest marked grave in Old Salem Cemetery, located next to Old Salem Baptist Church, dates to 1880. In the 1930s the community had a school and scattered farms and dwellings. During the later part of the twentieth century the region still had homes, farms, and dairy cattle operations. Old Salem had a population of fifty in 2000.

Continue Reading

Laurie E. Jasinski | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Old Salem is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Old Salem is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 33.45150630
Longitude: -94.52714860

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2014

50