Pastura

Pastura was in northwestern Jones County on what was the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway. The small settlement evolved around 1880 and was named by local ranchers for the good pasturelands there. The village became a stop on the Panhandle and Santa Fe Railway and by the early 1900s had a store and a population of twenty. A post office, granted on October 6, 1911, was active until it was moved to Hamlin on February 28, 1914. Early residents included store owner Austin C. Rose and postmaster Martin J. Olson. Pastura still existed in the 1940s but was gone from county maps by the mid-1950s. No indication of the former settlement is given on 1980 county maps.

Continue Reading

Charles G. Davis | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Pastura is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Pastura is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 32.96038380
Longitude: -100.01954370

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No