Patonia

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Polk County

Patonia is on Farm Road 3152 ninety miles north of Houston in west central Polk County. The earliest permanent settlers moved into the area during the 1840s and established a cluster of small rural communities known collectively as the Louisiana Settlement. Patonia was named for Brantley M. Pate, who secured a post office for one of the little communities in 1912. In addition to his duties as postmaster, Pate also operated a turpentine distillery in the area, one of many such lumber-related industries present in Polk County during the era. Although the post office was closed by 1941, a few scattered residences remained as of 1984.

Continue Reading

Robert Wooster | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Patonia is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Patonia is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Louisiana Settlement)

Location

Latitude: 30.85407860
Longitude: -95.02549070

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

15