Pearl

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Collingsworth County

Pearl (Pearl City), in central Collingsworth County, was named after the daughter of J. S. Kennedy, a land promoter from Fort Worth. It was a contender to be the seat of government when the county was organized in 1890. After learning in the spring of that year that Pearl was likely to become county seat, Kennedy and his associates brought in a group of prospective settlers from his hometown. A. F. Swafford built a saloon, and the first school in the county to be supported by state and county funds was built. As the contest for county government gained momentum, rival promoters and businessmen from Childress began supporting Wellington, two miles to the south. Kennedy offered a free town lot to every legal voter in the county if Pearl became the county seat, but the Wellington promoters offered five lots per voter. Wellington won the election after Kennedy returned to Fort Worth, and Pearl ceased to exist.

Continue Reading

H. Allen Anderson | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Pearl is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Pearl is classified as a Town

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No