Perry's Landing

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Brazoria County

Perry Landing, also known as Perry's Landing or Crosby's Landing, is on the Brazos River just north of State Highway 36 and eighteen miles south of Angleton in southeastern Brazoria County. Both sides of the river were named Perry's Landing after James F. Perry, who owned the nearby Peach Point Plantation, originally also known as Perry's Landing. The community was settled in 1870 and provided warehouses for the plantation. A post office was established in 1871 and discontinued in 1893, but reestablished in 1894 and called Perry Landing; as such it continued in operation until 1929. In 1884 the community had a church, a school, a general store, and a population of thirty. Sugar, cotton, and molasses were shipped from local warehouses. The population decreased briefly, then grew; by 1914 the community had 100 residents, three general stores, and a syrup manufacturer. State highway maps of 1936 showed a factory, a nearby cemetery, and scattered dwellings at the townsite. By 1944 the community had become part of the Brazosport industrial and port community. In 1990 Perry Landing was near the town limits of Jones Creek.

Continue Reading

Diana J. Kleiner | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Perry's Landing is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Perry's Landing is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Crosbyville)
  • (Gulf Prairie)

Location

Latitude: 28.99429600
Longitude: -95.43541960

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No