Petroleum

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Jim Hogg County

Petroleum is located in western Jim Hogg County twenty-four miles southwest of Hebbronville, north of the junction of State Highway 16 and Farm Road 649. The town was founded in 1932 and received its name from its location in an oilfield. A post office operated from 1930 until 1933, and in 1940 Petroleum reported one store and a population of twenty. By 1981 only fifteen residents remained, and the community was no longer listed on state highway maps. The population was still fifteen in 1990.

Continue Reading

Justin Lee Elmore | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Petroleum is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Petroleum is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 27.12043900
Longitude: -98.93013900

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No