Phillipsburg

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Washington County

Phillipsburg is on the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway and State Highway 36, five miles southeast of Brenham in extreme southern Washington County. A post office opened there in 1889 and closed in 1904. Despite the growth of nearby Pesch in the late 1880s, Phillipsburg was the most significant settlement in the vicinity by 1891. By 1890 it was a station on the GC&SF, and by 1896 it had become a supply point. St. Paul's Lutheran Church was constructed there in 1901, and in 1921 Phillipsburg entered the Texas Lutheran synod. In 1936 the community reported a population of 100 and one business. By 1952 Phillipsburg residents numbered forty, and by 1970 the community reported no businesses. In 1988 St. Paul's was still active. Phillipsburg has been predominantly German throughout its history. Through 2000 its population was still recorded as forty.

Continue Reading

Carole E. Christian | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Phillipsburg is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Phillipsburg is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [Phillips Station]

Location

Latitude: 30.09494120
Longitude: -96.36691050

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

75