Piggtown

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Hamilton County

Aleman, at the junction of Farm roads 932 and 3340 eight miles southeast of Hamilton in central Hamilton County, was settled by German immigrants from Washington County. In 1886 Rev. Thomas Kohn held the first church services there, and St. Paul's Lutheran Church subsequently became the center of a community. Originally the settlement was called Pleasant Point, but in 1907, when it was moved a mile to the railroad line, it was renamed Piggtown, after promoter Mack Pigg. The name was later changed to Aleman, Spanish for "German," used by Mexican railroad workers. For some years a cotton gin, blacksmith shop, and cafe operated there. In 1954 Aleman had the church, an elementary school, and a store. An Aleman post office operated from 1914 until 1943. In 1980, 1990, and 2000 the population was sixty.

Continue Reading

William R. Hunt | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Piggtown is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Piggtown is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Aleman)

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No