Pine Forest

Pine Forest, a farming community in southeastern Hopkins County six miles north of Pickton on Farm Road 269, also known as Mount Pisgah, was first settled in 1853 by Joseph T. Minter. Minter donated land for a Methodist church that was organized a few years later by Methodist minister P. B. Bailey. The community was originally known by the biblical name of Mount Pisgah, but the name was later changed to Pine Forest. A post office under the name Pine Forest operated from 1889 until 1905; Richard M. Askew was the first postmaster. In 1890 Pine Forest had a church, a school, a steam cotton gin and gristmill, a general store, a blacksmith, and a population of fifty. The public school had an enrollment of forty-seven in 1905. In the mid-1930s Pine Forest had two schools, two stores, a cemetery, and a number of scattered houses. The population in 1940 was seventy-two. By the mid-1970s the stores and schools had closed, but the Methodist and Church of Christ churches continued to operate. The population was fifty-one in 1990, where it remained in 2000.

Continue Reading

J. E. Jennings | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Pine Forest is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

Pine Forest is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Mount Pisgah)


Latitude: 33.11261690
Longitude: -95.38467040

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated


Population Count, 2009