Pine Grove, also known as Modoc, was off Farm Road 1615 five miles south of Athens in south central Henderson County. The area was first settled before the Civil War, but a village evidently did not grow up until the late 1860s. A post office was established in 1867, and from 1875 to 1878 it operated under the name Modoc. At its height in the 1890s the settlement had a grocer, a gin and mill, and a population of 200. The post office was closed in 1906, but as late as the mid-1930s a school and a store were still at the site. By the 1970s Pine Grove was no longer shown on maps, and in the early 1990s only a cemetery and a few houses remained in the area.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Pine Grove is part of or belongs to the following places:
Pine Grove is classified as a Town
Has Post Office