Plainview

Plainview was on Farm Road 1173 between Barnett and Plainview roads, half a mile south of Hickory Creek, four miles west of Krum, and twelve miles northwest of Denton in western Denton County. The families of Gideon and William Kimbrough arrived in the Plainview area in 1878. In 1894 a school was built that also served the growing population as a Baptist church. The first pastor, S. G. Christal, suggested the name Plainview because the community could be seen from a distance. Several years later Plainview Baptist Church received its own building, in 1898 land was purchased for a cemetery, and in 1907 a parsonage was built. Several businesses were located in Plainview in the first quarter of the twentieth century, including a cotton gin and several stores, but the community never had a post office. In 1935 Plainview School had thirty-five students and three teachers. Plainview appeared on county highway maps in the 1980s with a church and a cemetery.

Continue Reading

Lisa C. Maxwell | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Plainview is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Plainview is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 33.29178340
Longitude: -97.31557500

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No