Plank House

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Nacogdoches County

Flat Woods is off Farm Road 225 a mile west of Redland Cemetery in northwestern Nacogdoches County. The site was settled in the 1850s. A school known as Plank House opened there before the Civil War, and the settlement was known for many years as Plank House or Pine Grove. Around 1880 the name Flat Woods came into use. At its height around 1900 the community had a school, several churches, and a sawmill. After World War II the school closed, and many of the residents moved away. In the early 1990s only a few scattered houses remained in the area.

Continue Reading

Christopher Long | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Plank House is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Plank House is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Flat Woods)

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No