Pleasant Hill

Pleasant Hill is a small mining community located in southern Milam County ten miles southeast of Rockdale and four miles west of U.S. Highway 77. It was established in 1882 and was reportedly named for its scenic beauty and for the friendliness of its early residents. Pleasant Hill was part of a Methodist circuit rider's route by the late 1890s. The community had a one-teacher school with twenty-six students in 1903. In the 1940s Pleasant Hill had a church, a school, a business, and a few scattered houses. The school was consolidated with the Rockdale Independent School District in 1949. A church, a community hall, and several mining operations marked the location of Pleasant Hill on county highway maps in 1988; no population estimates were available.

Continue Reading

Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Pleasant Hill is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Pleasant Hill is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 30.52992620
Longitude: -97.07026510

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No