Pleasant Hill

Pleasant Hill, on Farm Road 2297 six miles south of Sulphur Springs in south central Hopkins County, was probably first settled in the 1840s. A post office was established there in 1849 and operated until 1866. The community derived its name from its location on a small rise near a side branch of Birch Creek. A local Methodist church was organized in 1854 with a Rev. Carter or McCarter serving as first pastor. A new two-story church building was erected in the 1880s. The lower floor was used for church and Sunday school, and while the Grange, Greenback, Temperance, and other societies occupied the second story. A school was operating in the community before the turn of the century; in 1898 it had an enrollment of eighty-three black students. By the 1930s the community consisted of the church, the school, a cemetery, and a few scattered houses. The school was later consolidated with the Sulphur Springs school district, and in the 1960s only the church and cemetery still remained. In the late 1980s Pleasant Hill was a dispersed rural community.

Continue Reading

Christopher Long | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Pleasant Hill is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

Pleasant Hill is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Nelta)


Latitude: 33.05733860
Longitude: -95.62773460

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated