Pleasant Mound

Pleasant Mound (Pleasant Mount) was at the site of the present intersection of Loop 12 and State Highway 352 in eastern Dallas County. The area was settled sometime in the 1840s by such families as the McCoys, Blairs, Carvers, and Brutons. By 1842 the construction of Pleasant Mound's Methodist church, one of the earliest in the county, was completed. In the 1860s cattle production was a primary interest in the area. The community was reportedly named by Myra Maybelle (Belle) Starr after her father's farm in Missouri. In 1928 Pleasant Mound had eight households, and Jess Ponder built a cafe and gasoline station in the area. The community grew from five residents and one business in 1930 to 125 residents and five businesses by 1940. Due to the eastward growth of Dallas in the late 1940s, the area experienced a housing boom. Pleasant Mound had a population of 800 in 1950, the year it was annexed by Dallas.

Continue Reading

Matthew Hayes Nall | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Pleasant Mound is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Pleasant Mound is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [-Mount]

Location

Latitude: 32.74929640
Longitude: -96.67721860

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No