Pleasant Ridge

Pleasant Ridge is a rural community located on Farm Road 1119 about six miles southeast of Centerville in southeastern Leon County. By the 1860s settlement had taken place in the region of high ground between Boggy and Keechi creeks. Pioneers named this area Pleasant Ridge, and early settlers included the Brady, Cox, and Oden families. Farmers established a Methodist church, and Zeke Cox donated land for a cemetery. The earliest marked graves date to the 1860s. In the 1930s highway maps showed the church and a sawmill, but some time during this decade the church was torn down. By the late twentieth century Pleasant Ridge was a dispersed rural community, and no population estimates were available. In 2000 the cemetery was still being used, and an active cemetery association maintained the grounds.

Continue Reading

Laurie E. Jasinski | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Pleasant Ridge is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Pleasant Ridge is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 31.19962680
Longitude: -95.92384510

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No