Point Pleasant, also known as Gilead, was located on old U.S. Highway 80 a half mile east of Moody Creek in northwestern Gregg County. It was founded about 1850, when a post office opened as Gilead. The name was changed to Point Pleasant in 1852. William W. Walters, who served as postmaster from 1858 to 1860, reportedly operated a stagecoach station during the town's early years. The community also contained the Possum Trot School and Moseley Cemetery. When the railroad came through the area in the early 1870s, it bypassed the town. The post office closed in 1871, and many of the residents moved to the new communities of Longview and Gladewater. Clarksville City, which grew up during the oil boom of the early 1930s, later developed at the site. No population estimates were available, but at its height around the time of the Civil War about forty-eight families reportedly received their mail at Point Pleasant.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Point Pleasant is part of or belongs to the following places:
Point Pleasant is classified as a Town
- (Clarksville City)
Has Post Office