Port Harlingen

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Cameron County

Port Harlingen, also known as the Rio Hondo Port, is on the Arroyo Colorado and Farm Road 106, on the eastern city limits of Harlingen (at 26°56' N, 97°36' W). The channel connecting Arroyo Colorado with the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway was completed and dedicated on February 27, 1952. It is 12 feet deep and 125 feet wide and has a turning basin measuring 400 by 600 feet. By 1962 the port was handling $2.5 million in commerce. In 1983 commodity shipments amounted to 455,430 short tons, and they increased to 801,003 short tons in 1984, when the port housed ten industries with commercial leases. In 1989 Port Harlingen handled 728,954 short tons.

Continue Reading

Alicia A. Garza | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Port Harlingen is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Port Harlingen is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 26.19924130
Longitude: -97.60137710

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No