Post Oak

Post Oak, also known as Postoak and Keechi, is an unincorporated farming community located in central Freestone County on Farm Road 1580, three miles south of Fairfield. It was settled about 1890 and named for the post oak trees in the area. It had a general store, a barber shop, a cotton gin, and a gristmill. The Post Oak black school had thirty-two students in 1893. In the 1930s the community had a school and a few scattered dwellings. By the late 1960s only a church and cemetery remained. No population estimates were available.

Continue Reading

Chris Cravens | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Post Oak is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Post Oak is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [Postoak]
  • (Keechi)

Location

Latitude: 31.67905860
Longitude: -96.13496890

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No