Primrose

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Van Zandt County

According to one source Primrose, seventeen miles southeast of Canton on Farm Road 314 in southeast Van Zandt County, was established by J. D. Johnson, who founded a store at the site in the early 1900s and named the settlement for the local wildflowers. The community had a post office from 1902 to 1910, after which mail was delivered from Ben Wheeler. During the 1930s the population rose from ten to fifty, and the community had a school, two churches, two businesses, a cemetery, and several residences. Local farmers raised vegetables, fruit, and nursery stock. By the 1950s the local school had been consolidated with the Van Independent School District. The population was estimated at twenty in 1965 and at twenty-four in 1974 through 2000. State highway maps indicated two churches and a single business at the site from 1965 to 1987.

Continue Reading

Diana J. Kleiner | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Primrose is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Primrose is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Sexton)

Location

Latitude: 32.43347610
Longitude: -95.60412750

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

26