Providence

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Polk County

Providence is at the junction of State Highway 146 and Farm Road 1988, four miles southeast of Livingston and seventy miles north of Houston in southwestern Polk County. Early residents included Isham, Riley, and Wiley Peebles. The community was originally known as the Henry County settlement, since many of the earliest settlers had come from Henry County, Alabama. By 1858 a Baptist church was organized, as was the Providence school. Providence became a rural community in which most residents were employed in cotton or truck farming. The West Lumber Company also established a lumber camp at Providence about 1920. In the mid-1980s a number of persons remained at Providence, some of whom commuted to Livingston. In 2000 the population was 350.

Continue Reading

Robert Wooster | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Providence is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Providence is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [Camp-]
  • [-Camp]
  • (Henry County Settlement)

Location

Latitude: 30.66547620
Longitude: -94.89382180

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

350