Quincy was on State Highway 202 on a ranch seven miles east of Beeville in Bee County. The John Quincy Ranch, formerly owned by Augustin and Juan Moya, was purchased in 1891 by David Swickheimer, and the area was subsequently developed. The Enterprise Land and Colonization Company sold acreage to families from other states, particularly Kansas. Soon after the Swickheimer purchase, the community had a post office and several businesses. A school in Quincy had one teacher and thirteen pupils in 1898–99. Interest in the settlement soon declined, however, and the development was sold to the Bee County Irrigation Syndicate, a San Antonio-based enterprise that re-subdivided the area and tried to attract settlers. Several small businesses were established, but fell into disuse; later they burned down. The 10,500-acre ranch on which Quincy was established was later owned by John J. O'Brien and his son John Morgan O'Brien. In the early 1970s the old townsite was still referred to as "Little Quincy."

Continue Reading

Adrian D. Ramirez | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Quincy is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

Quincy is classified as a Town


Latitude: 28.38759700
Longitude: -97.55156800

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated