Rabb Switch

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Lavaca County

Rabb Switch is on U.S. Highway 90A five miles east of Hallettsville in northern Lavaca County. The land was originally granted to John Morris, a Methodist circuit rider. Dr. Edward M. Rabb, settled in the area during the 1880s. When the Texas and New Orleans Railroad crossed the Navidad River in 1918, a wood and water switch was built on his land. Two stores opened at the site, and a school built in the 1800s was moved to the community in 1919; at one time it had thirty to thirty-five students. Local residents cut and loaded firewood for shipment to Houston. The railroad ceased operations during the 1950s, at the same time that U.S. 90-A was improved. When the school was closed in 1953, students went to the Hallettsville Independent School District, and the population declined thereafter as businesses closed. During the 1980s two businesses were again established, and local residents petitioned the highway department for recognition on maps and for signs verifying their status as a community.

Continue Reading

Jeff Carroll | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Rabb Switch is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Rabb Switch is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 29.45403500
Longitude: -96.85828900

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No