Red

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Dawson County

Lou was in an oil and farming area seventeen miles west of Lamesa in western Dawson County. The C. L. Gaultney family settled there in August 1906. They helped organize the community and build the school. They also helped R. B. Red build one of the first gins in the county. A post office was established on August 2, 1907, with Charles B. Martin as postmaster, and a small community grew up near the office. A Christian society was organized the same year. In 1945 Lou had a post office, two businesses, and a population of fifty. The post office continued until the late 1940s. County maps in the 1980s showed no evidence of the rural community.

Continue Reading

Charles G. Davis | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Red is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Red is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Lou)

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No