Redford

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Presidio County

Redford is located along the Rio Grande and Farm Road 170 sixteen miles southeast of Presidio in southeast Presidio County. The community was founded about 1876, when it was known as El Polvo, Spanish for "the dust." Redford's first post office opened in 1911. In 1914 the town had four general stores, and in 1934 it had sixty residents and three businesses. Redford had a school, a church, a number of houses, and a population of 107 in 1970. In 1979 Lucia Rede Madrid, a descendant of the original settlers and a retired schoolteacher, opened up a school library in her family's store. The store closed around 1990 and now serves solely as a library and museum. The predominantly Mexican-American town is linked to the Mexican town of Mulato, just across the river.

Continue Reading

Jenny Odintz | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Redford is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Redford is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Pulvo)

Location

Latitude: 29.44991090
Longitude: -104.18936570

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2021 View more »

43