Redland

Redland, just off State Highway 64 twenty-four miles southeast of Canton in southeast Van Zandt County, began when Burwell J. Hambrick built the first cotton gin in the county just west of the Neches River and established a plantation home. After the Civil War he divided his estate, later known as Roseland Plantation Home, among his ex-slaves, and this land became the foundation of the community. Red Land High School existed by 1890, reached an enrollment of thirty-five in 1905, and in 1966 was consolidated with the Van Independent School District. In 1936 state highway maps showed a church, a cemetery, a school, and several residences, and three local churches were functioning by 1965. By 1981, however, only scattered dwellings remained along the highway to mark the townsite.

Continue Reading

Diana J. Kleiner | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Redland is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Redland is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 32.37681290
Longitude: -95.49856910

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

45