Riverland is a mile from the Red River and sixteen miles northeast of Henrietta in northern Clay County. Pioneers in Clay County had to leave the area in 1862 due to Indian attacks that followed removal of the army during the Civil War. Riverland probably was established when the settlers came back around 1870. In 1875 the community obtained a post office with John Jones as postmaster. During the 1880s Riverland had fifty people, a doctor, a dentist, and many local tradesmen. Some residents were Russian Germans. Riverland lost its post office in August 1905. In the early 1930s the town had a two-room, seven-grade school, a general store, a filling station, and a cemetery. By 1936 only twenty people remained. In 1987 the town structures had disappeared, leaving only the cemetery and a few residents in the countryside.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Riverland is part of or belongs to the following places:
Riverland is classified as a Town
Has Post Office