Rock Island

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Colorado County

Rock Island, on U.S. Highway 90A fifteen miles west of Eagle Lake and twelve miles southwest of Columbus in southwest Colorado County, was settled in 1896 as part of a land promotion scheme on the Texas and New Orleans Railroad. Among the first residents of the community were Abram Vorhees, Charles Petersen, and C. S. Penfield. The town's original name was Crasco, after nearby Crasco Creek, but in 1897 the citizens successfully petitioned the post office department to change the name. Charles Petersen, a large landowner, renamed the town for the Rock Island Railroad Company. In August 1897 Petersen was appointed the first postmaster of Rock Island, and the old Crasco post office was closed. From an original core of thirty-nine farming families, the population of Rock Island had grown to 367 by 1904 and had reached an all-time high of 500 by 1925. By 1986 the population had dropped to 160, and only eight businesses remained. In 2000 the population remained at 160, and there were five businesses in the community.

Continue Reading

F. B. Largent, Jr. | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Rock Island is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Rock Island is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Crasco)

Location

Latitude: 29.53107350
Longitude: -96.57524970

Has Post Office

Yes

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2021 View more »

447