Rocky Mound

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby

Map of Camp County

Rocky Mound is on Farm Road 1521 four miles northwest of Pittsburg in northwestern Camp County. The original settlement was a Black community centered around a school, which in 1897 employed two teachers and served the area's seventy-eight children. By 1908 the community also had a church, sometimes referred to as Rocky Mountain Church. By 1935 the schools in that portion of the county had been consolidated into the Sheppard Common School District, and the school for Black children was located near Harvard. In 1948 the community had two churches and a cemetery. In the 1970s residents voted to incorporate Rocky Mound. In 1980 the town had a population of 123; by that time the population was no longer exclusively Black. In 1990 the population was fifty-three. The population reached ninety-three in 2000.

Continue Reading

Cecil Harper, Jr. | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Rocky Mound is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Rocky Mound is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 33.02099270
Longitude: -95.02242100

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

Yes

Population Count, 2021 View more »

83