Rodney

Rodney, on Pin Oak Creek just off Farm Road 638 and eight miles from Dawson in Navarro County, was settled in 1834 by Joshua Graham. The land was a bounty grant given to Graham for having fought in the Texas Revolution. In 1884 a post office and a store opened there, and the post office operated in the Payne home until 1904. A school was founded at the Patterson farm. During the mid-1930s the town had a church, two businesses, and a number of scattered dwellings. It had one store and a population of thirty-five in 1945. Rodney was a dispersed rural community in 1990. In 2000 the population was fifteen.

Continue Reading

Carol M. Rushing | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Rodney is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Rodney is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [-Calm]
  • (Burney's Bridge)
  • (Payne)

Location

Latitude: 31.82182860
Longitude: -96.61165330

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

15