Roosevlet

Schwab City is at the junction of State Highway 146 and Farm Road 2665, seventy miles north of Houston in southwestern Polk County. The farming community, settled about 1880, was known variously as Crossroads, Munsonville, Roosevelt, and Ten-Mile Board until Dick Schwab discovered oil nearby. Although wells opened in 1933 yielded only moderate results, in 1939 discoveries at the Schwab field southeast of town proved among the largest in Polk County. Further discoveries in 1968 at the Schwab field and in 1981 at the South Schwab field also proved rich in both oil and natural gas. The community itself is just south of the Livingston oilfield.

Continue Reading

Robert Wooster | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Roosevlet is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Roosevlet is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Schwab City)

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No