Ross City

Ross City, on Farm Road 821 in the southeastern corner of Howard County, was named for William Rossman. Shortly after oil was discovered in the area in 1926 Rossman bought the townsite and divided it into lots. Ross City boomed for a brief period; its population reached 600 in 1936 and then began to decline. In 1947 the town had 250 inhabitants and two businesses. The population fell to eighty by 1956 and remained the same in 1966. In 1980 through 2000 Ross City had eighty-one inhabitants.

Continue Reading

Noel Wiggins | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Ross City is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Ross City is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 32.09651550
Longitude: -101.30650810

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No