Round Prairie

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Navarro County

Round Prairie, at the junction of State Highway 309 and Farm Road 635, eighteen miles south of Corsicana in southeastern Navarro County, was settled around 1900. A store opened there before 1895, and by 1906 two schools were in operation with a combined enrollment of 113. In the mid-1930s Round Prairie had four stores, a church, and a number of houses. Its estimated population in 1936 was ten. After World War II most of the businesses closed, and the school was consolidated with that of Kerens. By the mid-1960s only a single store and a few scattered houses remained. In 1990 Round Prairie was a dispersed community with an estimated population of forty. The population remained the same in 2000.

Continue Reading

Christopher Long | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Round Prairie is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Round Prairie is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 32.03543470
Longitude: -96.17830580

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

40