Salem

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Freestone County

Salem is off Farm Road 489 three miles west of Dew in south central Freestone County. In 1893 twenty-five black students were enrolled in the community school. Salem also had the Salem Church and the Negro Masonic Lodge no. 29. In the 1930s a church, a cemetery, a school, and a number of dwellings were in the area, and in the 1960s the church, cemetery, and a few dwellings remained. By the late 1980s, however, only the church and cemetery marked the site on maps.

Continue Reading

Chris Cravens | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Salem is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Salem is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [2]

Location

Latitude: 31.57600530
Longitude: -96.18052480

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No