Sanborn

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Grayson County

Sanborn, in western Grayson County, was named for Henry B. Sanborn, an agent for and partner of J. F. Glidden, the inventor of barbed wire. In 1875 Sanborn purchased a 35,000-acre ranch east of Whitesboro. He is credited with introducing from this ranch both barbed wire and improved Hereford cattle into the area. The ranch and the homes around it made up the Sanborn community, which never had a post office and apparently did not ever develop into more than an isolated ranch settlement. It probably died out before 1900.

Continue Reading

Brian Hart | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Sanborn is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Sanborn is classified as a Town

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No