Sand Flat is a small rural community located on Farm Road 275 about two miles north of Emory in north central Rains County. It began as an African-American farming settlement, probably during the late 1800s or early 1900s, and was named for the region's flat and sandy terrain. Marked graves in the local cemetery, called the Prairie Grove Cemetery, date back to the 1880s. A school operated in the early 1900s, and in 1922 citizens constructed a new building in part with grant money furnished by the Julius Rosenwald Fund. The four-classroom, white frame structure served African-American students until desegregation in the 1960s. The building still appeared on maps in the 1980s. Nearby Prairie Grove Baptist Church served area residents. In 2000 Sand Flat had a population of 100.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Sand Flat is part of or belongs to the following places:
Sand Flat is classified as a Town
Has Post Office
Sand Flat by the Numbers
This is some placeholder text that we should either remove or replace with a brief summary about this particular metric. For example, "We update population counts once per year..."