Santa Anna

Santa Anna is on the Fayette county line at the Colorado River, Crier Creek, and State Highway 71 in northwestern Colorado County. The first settlers in the area were the families of Joseph Duty, one of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred, who received title to a league of land on July 19, 1824, and Jesse Burnam, who received his title on August 16 of the same year. Through the community passed the La Bahía branch of the Spanish road that connected Nacogdoches, San Antonio, and La Bahía. The Duty family moved up the Colorado River. Burnam built a trading post and ferry across the Colorado River nearby, and these prospered until March 19, 1836, when the ferry was destroyed by the Texas Army under Sam Houston in its retreat from Gonzales. Following the Texas Revolution Burnam also moved, and most of the local farmland reverted to native vegetation.

The wave of immigration that followed the Civil War brought many new settlers to the area from Germany and Czechoslovakia. Of the more than 100 families that claimed residence in the community, the majority were tenant farmers and sharecroppers who produced cotton and corn in the rich bottomland along the river. In the early 1900s a school was established, and it flourished for almost fifty years, until it was consolidated with the Columbus Independent School District.

Continue Reading

Jeff Carroll | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Santa Anna is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Santa Anna is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 29.77245350
Longitude: -96.66830820

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No