Saralvo

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Ellis County

Sardis is on U.S. Highway 287 and the Southern Pacific Railroad four miles northwest of Waxahachie in northwestern Ellis County. The area that became Sardis was settled as early as 1855 by Allen Roe. In 1858 Captain William Wade Peevey settled on 414 acres in the area. A post office named Hurley Station began operation in the community in November 1886 and continued under that name until 1888, when the name was changed to Saralvo. By 1891 the community had several businesses and three churches. By 1904 Saralvo's population stood at 152. In 1907, following discontinuation of the post office, the people of Saralvo again renamed their community, calling it Sardis. The population declined rapidly after 1933, falling from 150 in that year to thirty persons in 1947. In 1970 a grocery store, a filling station, and a Methodist church were located at Sardis. In 2000 the population was twenty. That figure increased to sixty in 2010.

Continue Reading

Brian Hart | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Saralvo is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Saralvo is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Sardis)

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No