Sattler

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Comal County

Sattler, ten miles northwest of New Braunfels in the hills of east central Comal County, has also been known as Mountain Valley, for the local school, and as Walhalla, for the Walhalla Singing Club organized there in 1877. The post office was named for William Sattler when it opened in his home in 1856. Sattler had settled in Comal Town in 1846 and at Mountain Valley in 1853. Later the post office was moved to a general store, which became a business and social center for area farmers and ranchers. Part of the Sattler community extended into Hidden Valley, which was settled in 1863. The valley comprised more than 1,000 acres of farmland on the west bank of a bend in the Guadalupe River. Sattler had an estimated twenty-five residents until shortly after World War II. Records suggest it was virtually deserted by the 1950s; its revival in the mid-1960s followed the completion of nearby Canyon Dam and the inundation of the valley above Sattler. Thereafter Sattler served residents and tourists of the Canyon Lake area. Its population was estimated at thirty in 1990. The population remained the same in 2000.

Continue Reading

Oscar Haas | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Sattler is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Sattler is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Mountain Valley)
  • (Walhalla)

Location

Latitude: 29.84799690
Longitude: -98.17556600

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2017 View more »

2,500