Savannah was southeast of the site of present-day Annona in southeast Red River County. The community was named Savannah because many of its early settlers were from Savannah, Georgia. The town received a post office in 1846 with Andrew Jackson Titus as postmaster. In the early 1870s, when it became clear that the railroad would bypass Savannah to the north, the town of Walker Station, which later became Annona, was established on the proposed rail route, and Savannah began to decline. The post office was moved to Walker Station in 1874. In 1881 a newspaper correspondent of the Clarksville Standard visited Savannah briefly and claimed that he "found the place looking a little the worse for wear." Although a church and cemetery in southeastern Red River County still bore the name Savannah in 1951, the community itself had ceased to exist.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Savannah is part of or belongs to the following places:
Savannah is classified as a Town
Has Post Office