Seco

Seco Settlement was a frontier community near Fort Lincoln and a mile north of D'Hanis in west central Medina County. For protection from Indian raids, settlers from Old D'Hanis moved to sites near the fort soon after its establishment in 1849. The settlement was probably named after Seco Creek, which runs immediately east of the Fort Lincoln site. Most of the community's settlers were from Germany, France, and Ireland. Latter-day accounts describe the country at the time of settlement as "one vast prairie of sage grass." The settlers built a school, homes, and several stores and other small businesses and engaged in farming and the raising of cattle and sheep. The Seco School had one teacher and an enrollment of thirty-five in 1908; the school was still active in the late 1940s. Seco Settlement was no longer evident as a separate community in 1969, and by 1984 its site was part of D'Hanis.

Continue Reading

Ruben E. Ochoa | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Seco is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Seco is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [-Settlement]

Location

Latitude: 29.36156400
Longitude: -99.28205300

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No