Security was on the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway thirteen miles east of Conroe in eastern Montgomery County. Although settlement in the vicinity began in the mid-nineteenth century, Security was not formed until after 1889, when the GC&SF completed its branch line from Conroe to Cleveland across eastern Montgomery County. Around 1900 a lumber boom in this heavily wooded region brought an influx of settlers. By 1900 the community had a post office known as Pocahontas. In 1902 the name was changed to Bennette, in honor of J. O. H. Bennette, on whose property the town developed. Bennette sold his holdings to the Security Land Company in 1907, and the post office closed. In 1910 a new post office was established under the name Security.
In 1914 the schools at nearby Timber and White Oak were consolidated into the Security common school. By that date the community had a depot, a sawmill, a cotton gin, two gristmills, two grocery stores, a general store, a hotel, and a population of 150. In the late 1920s the Security school was merged into the Splendora Consolidated School District.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Security is part of or belongs to the following places:
Security is classified as a Town
Has Post Office
Population Count, 2009