Selden

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Erath County

Selden, on Farm Road 913 nine miles southeast of Stephenville in southeast Erath County, was named for John M. Selden and the ranch he established in 1855. A church, established in 1881, was called Sims Creek Church. H. Mosely was the first postmaster when the post office was established in 1890. By 1900 the population was ninety-two; it declined to twenty-five by 1910. In 1915 Selden lost its post office. In 1947 the town had sixty residents, two stores, a church, and a school. The population was seventy-one in 1980 and 1990. By 2000 the population had dropped to seven.

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Selden is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Selden is classified as a Town

Location

Latitude: 32.14403180
Longitude: -98.10670450

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2009

55