Senterfitt was on Salt Creek just west of Ranch Road 581 and 3½ miles west of Lometa in western Lampasas County. It was named after Reuben S. Senterfitt, who built a home and established a ranch there in the 1860s. He was a leading citizen of the community and at one time operated a grocery store, mercantile business, livery stable, and hotel in the town. Tom Kirby was another early settler who moved to Senterfitt around 1875 and whose ranch became a center for community dances and suppers. Arthur J. North, an Englishman, was one of the few early sheep raisers in the territory. His ranch later became part of the townsite of Lometa.

Throughout the 1870s and 1880s Senterfitt was a ranching center, and many of the early cattle drives to the north passed through the town. It was at times a wild place, with saloons open day and night. Nearby was a place called Maverick Valley, where rustlers kept stolen calves and cattle until they could alter the brands. In 1879 Senterfitt became a mail and stage stop on the routes from Fort Worth to Fort Mason and from Austin going west. The community drew trade from a wide area, and many ox-drawn freight trains carrying wool, cotton, hides, and pecans passed through on their way to the nearest railroad station, located in Round Rock. Mary Rahl established the Rahl Hotel, and a telegraph office was opened, operated by Ector Gammage. John and Neal Dickerson and John and William Lindsey opened two of the earliest stores.

Continue Reading

Alice J. Rhoades | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Senterfitt is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

Senterfitt is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Chadwick)


Latitude: 31.19794560
Longitude: -98.43725870

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated