Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Freestone County

Shanks was off Farm Road 80 eight miles west of Fairfield in western Freestone County. It was named for Matthew and Robert Shanks of Alabama, who settled in the area with their families in 1859. A small farming settlement grew up, and in 1870 a school was built on a one-acre site donated by R. C. Murray. A post office was established in 1899 and operated until 1906, when it was replaced by rural delivery. In 1917 the school building was torn down, and by the early 1990s a cemetery and a few scattered houses were all that remained of the settlement. A historical marker was placed at the graveyard in 1977.

Continue Reading

Christopher Long | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Shanks is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists


Place type

Shanks is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [-' Gin]
  • (Nip'n Tuck)


Latitude: 31.73238920
Longitude: -96.33108730

Has Post Office


Is Incorporated