Cass is on the Kansas City Southern Railway and Farm Road 251, eight miles northeast of Atlanta in northeastern Cass County. It was settled in the early 1890s, when the Texarkana and Fort Smith Railway was built through the county. The first post office was established in March 1894 and named Sheffield, but the name was changed to Cass in 1896. At that time the settlement was little more than a country post office and a general store. By 1914 it had two stores, two gins, and a population of 100. In 1925 Cass had a population of twenty, and the post office closed in 1928. In 1964 the population was reported at forty, and the town had no rated businesses. In 1983 Cass had a town hall, a church, two businesses, and a population estimated at fifty. The population was still fifty in 1990, but increased to sixty in 2000.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Sheffield is part of or belongs to the following places:
Sheffield is classified as a Town
Has Post Office