Shortview

Noonday, also known as Shortview, is a small rural community and religious site on Farm Road 450 four miles north of Hallsville in western Harrison County. The site was initially called Shortview, but in 1876, after a Baptist church was built there, a meeting called to select a new name for the community was held at high noon, and Noonday was chosen. In 1897 the Noonday School served some forty-five White pupils, and that same year the Baptist church was succeeded by the Noonday Holiness camp, which held camp meetings under a brush arbor until a tabernacle was built in 1900. The community had scattered residences and two businesses in 1948. During the 1980s the tabernacle had a historical marker and was surrounded by about a dozen small white cabins.

Continue Reading

Sallie M. Lentz | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Shortview is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Shortview is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Noonday)

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No