Silver Valley

Product photo
Promotion: Nearby Map of Coleman County

Silver Valley, on U.S. Highway 84 and the Santa Fe Railroad in northwest Coleman County, was first settled by B. E. Smith and B. R. Brown about 1886. Smith built a gin near his home, and in the late 1890s A. A. Dunn built a store. J. B. Lowrie became the first postmaster when the post office was added to the store. It is not clear whether the community was named for settlers' hopes for silver deposits in nearby hills or from the land's fertility. In 1910 the post office was moved three miles to a location on the Pecos and Northern Texas Railway. By 1940 Silver Valley had two businesses and sixty-seven people. In 1980 through 2000 the population was twenty.

Continue Reading

W. S. Gay | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Silver Valley is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

Yes

Place type

Silver Valley is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • (Lawn)

Location

Latitude: 31.95653150
Longitude: -99.54618190

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No

Population Count, 2014

15