Six Shooter Junction
Kenedy is on U.S. Highway 181 and State Highway 72 four miles south of Karnes City in southwestern Karnes County. Its site was part of a royal Spanish land grant made to Carlos Martínez in 1788. The community was established in 1886 on the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway, on a tract of land bought by Mifflin Kenedy from George W. Little that year. It was named Kenedy Junction in honor of Kenedy, the chief benefactor of the SA&AP. The post office at Kenedy Junction was established on March 27, 1887; its name was shortened to Kenedy on June 21, 1887.
A small depot was built at the Y at Kenedy Junction, one branch continuing toward Corpus Christi, the other toward Houston. In 1887 a new depot was built as a part of the new Railroad Hotel, which also included a lunchroom known as the Beanery. The first post office was temporarily located at the hotel building until the old Daileyville store and post office was moved from Daileyville to the southeast corner of Block One. W. E. Thulemeyer, who was instrumental in settling the Kenedy-Lenz area with German farmers from Fayette County, established a cotton gin at Kenedy in 1891. The first residence was built by George Little. Other early settlers were J. M. Nichols, J. D. Nichols, W. G. Butler, and L. D. Young.
- ✅ Adoption Status:
- This place is available for adoption! Available for adoption!
Six Shooter Junction is part of or belongs to the following places:
Six Shooter Junction is classified as a Town
Has Post Office