Slovanville

Slovanville, also known as Kulhanek and as Sloganville, was four miles south of Waller and west of what is now Farm Road 362 in Waller County. It was named for the European immigrants from Slavonic countries who settled in the area. Children from the community attended classes in a one-room schoolhouse that was donated by Josef Kulhanek in 1897. The teacher, a Mr. Voitek, opened a post office to supplement his income, but because the post office was less than five miles from Waller, the federal postal authorities did not allow it to stay open. Local residents rode on horseback to Waller for mail service until free rural mail delivery began in 1909. Slovanville disappeared after that time.

Continue Reading

Paul M. Lucko | © TSHA

Handbook of Texas Logo

Adapted from the official Handbook of Texas, a state encyclopedia developed by Texas State Historical Association (TSHA). It is an authoritative source of trusted historical records.

Belongs to

Slovanville is part of or belongs to the following places:

Currently Exists

No

Place type

Slovanville is classified as a Town

Associated Names

  • [Sloganville]
  • (Kulhanek)

Has Post Office

No

Is Incorporated

No